Article on EXPATICA website
Dr. Victor Kouratovsky, a certified clinical specialist, discusses his experience with diverse people from all over the world with varying backgrounds, upbringing, culture, and personal histories in different countries.
In my understanding of the importance of culture, cultural background, and the effects of a migration from a mental health perspective, I coined a way of thinking I have called ‘envelopment’. Envelopment provides a buffer and protection against stress by creating patterns and rituals, with proven effects on biological and (sub)conscious levels. When adequate, envelopment enables adjustment, health and growth through care of the family and of the self. A change of setting, however, stressful by itself, can leave one unprotected. I use swaddling, an millennia-old custom in all parts of the world, as a metaphor for envelopment.
About Dr. Kouratovsky
Expert psychological and psychiatric knowledge and over 25 years’ experience
- With all age groups
- Knowledge about and experience with adjusting to a foreign country
- Large and international professional network
Dr. Kouratovsky (Victor) recently was awarded with the Sinbad Award for Intercultural psychology by the Dutch Institute for Psychologists (NIP)
Some indications and examples of the costs involved:
• First half hour is free of charge ;
• Following hours cost 150 euro (per 45 minutes) ;
• A basic consultation generally takes 1 to 2 hrs. ; this includes psychiatric evaluation, evaluation of coping mechanisms and advice ;
• Full psychiatric evaluation and advice take 2 to 3 hrs.; including written report : 4 to 5 hrs. ;
• Basic evaluation of psychological and / or developmental functioning and resulting advice: 3 hrs. ;
• Full developmental and psychological evaluation of children, including advice and written report: 6 to 12 hrs. ;
• Full assessment of intelligence, information processing, and personality development, including advice and written report: 10 to 15 hrs. ;
• Full family consultation: 3 to 4 hrs. ;
• Solution focused psychotherapy: 5 to 10 hrs.
• Between 7 and 9 PM plus 50 euro per hour ;
• Use of a qualified, professional interpreter plus 50 euro per hour (travel expenses not included)